Joseph B. Shumofsky is a Member of the Sills Cummis & Gross Litigation, Business
Crimes, and Corporate Internal Investigations Practice Groups. Mr. Shumofsky is an accomplished trial lawyer,
focusing on white collar criminal defense and investigations, internal
corporate investigations, complex commercial litigation, regulatory inquiries
and lawsuits, and counseling corporations that are victims of white collar and
Mr. Shumofsky’s practice draws on his previous experience as a
federal prosecutor and in private practice.
Before joining Sills Cummis & Gross, he was a federal prosecutor for
almost nine years, serving in the United States Attorney’s Office in the
District of New Jersey and in the Southern District of Florida, serving
primarily in each office’s Economic Crimes Unit. As a federal prosecutor, Mr. Shumofsky
investigated, managed and prosecuted a wide variety of white collar cases,
including cases involving financial fraud, bank fraud, tax fraud, securities
fraud, insurance fraud, health care fraud, identity theft and cybercrimes. He also has successfully tried numerous
federal jury trials, including trials in the white collar area. In that capacity, Mr. Shumofsky worked
closely with, and managed, federal and local law enforcement investigators to
prepare cases for discovery and trial.
Mr. Shumofsky’s work as a federal prosecutor included:
- Conviction of former NBA player for engaging in a multi-million dollar real estate Ponzi scheme.
- Conviction of two borrowers for their participation in a multi-million dollar mortgage fraud conspiracy.
- Conviction of a lawyer for theft of honest services for engaging in a kickback scheme.
- Conviction of a defendant for importing counterfeit clothing, including professional sports apparel, into the U.S. from Asia.
- Conviction of four defendants for engaging in a multi-state credit card fraud scheme involving the stolen personal identification information of hundreds of individuals.
- Conviction of defendant for national scheme to steal millions of dollars of over-the-counter pharmaceuticals for resale.
- Conviction of defendant for hiding assets and avoiding tax liabilities.
- Conviction of a tax preparer for preparing and filing fraudulent tax returns.
- Conviction of four defendants for engaging in a scheme to defraud a national bank to obtain mortgages to purchase properties at inflated prices.
- Conviction of a bank manager for fraudulently cashing stolen United States Treasury checks.
- Conviction of several defendants for conspiring to commit arson and fraudulently obtain insurance proceeds.
- Conviction of a defendant for perpetrating a complex mortgage fraud scheme in the state foreclosure sale system.
- Assisted with conviction of several defendants charged with terrorist activities, including conspiring to blow up the Sears Tower.
- Assisted with conviction of three defendants charged with health care fraud and identity theft in connection with a $148 million Medicare fraud scheme.
Mr. Shumofsky was recognized for his exceptional work by
several federal law enforcement agencies, and he received the Special
Achievement Award from the United States Attorney’s Office, District of New
Prior to his Government service, Mr. Shumofsky spent
approximately seven years in private practice in New York at Dorsey &
Whitney and, previously, at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, focusing on complex
commercial litigation matters for businesses and individuals. He also clerked for Honorable David N.
Edelstein, United States District Judge, Southern District of New York.